Re: Question on TCP MSS with repsect to IPSEC

> When we adverstise MSS for TCP connections, am I right in saying that the
> MSS value should take into account the ESP and AH header and data.
>
> For example if the MTU is 576, and the AH header+data is 24 bytes and ESP
> header +data 20 bytes (assuming 8 bytes padding), then the MSS I announce
> should be
> (576 - 40 - 24 - 20).
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Naganand
> naganand@ftp.com
> Tel #: (508)684-6743 (O)

Hmmm. The current BSD code uses the min of the MSS and 512,
to optimize alignments, e.g., with pages, socket buffers, etc.

Given that this leaves 492, a size of 256 seems small, but may
have some benefit.

Joe
Joe Touch - touch@isi.edu		    http://www.isi.edu/~touch/
ISI / Project Leader, ATOMIC-2, LSAM       http://www.isi.edu/atomic2/