Re: TO COMPRESS OR NOT TO CMPRS (please reply)

> Er, no.  "At the very least" compression provides no benefit in packet
size
> and increases computational load.  (I'm not sure if I'm correcting your
> colloquial english or your understanding of compression.)  There is no
> guaranteed compression.  In the case of interactive traffic like telnet,
> compression will have very little benefit.  In the case of ftp data
traffic
> (large MTU sized packets), compression _may_ save you from having to
> fragment when encrypting.  But only if the data is not already
compressed.
> In the case of ftp, data IS quite often already compressed.

What I would imagine occuring at the implementation level is that you would
set a threshhold packet size and any packets below the threshhold would not
be compressed (due to the lack of expected benefit). Larger packets would
get compressed and in the event of no compression being achieved, or worst
case some expansion occuring, the implementation would send the
uncompressed form of the data. These are implementation issues however and
do not affect the interoperability of the proposed mechanism since there is
the bit to say that the packet is compressed or not and the fact that the
use of compression is negotiated between the communicating parties.

-Bob