Re: TO COMPRESS OR NOT TO CMPRS (please reply)

In message <3.0.32.19970217161428.009493c0@earthlink.net>, Bob Monsour writes:

>    I know that there are some wg members who support the use of compression,
>    some who don't and some who haven't expressed an interest either way. Well,
>    the time has come to decide. PLEASE RESPOND BY INDICATING YOUR POSITION.
>    Be sure to copy the wg list in your reply.

Does anyone (perhaps PPP people?) have statistics on whether compression at
the packet layer is actually effective? What percentage of packets on a real
network are compressible? What compression ratios do you get? What's the
extra latency of the compression?

What's the tradeoff between compressing the data stream (above TCP) v.s.
individual packets? (The latter transmits the same number of packets with or
without compression, and some would argue that the modern internet is *not*
bandwidth limited but is limited by packet-switching rates).

WAGs are fun, but we're designing a Protocol Standard here, not tinkering in
the basement...

--
Harald Koch <chk@utcc.utoronto.ca>

Follow-Ups: References: