RE: Closing out the COMPRESSION discussion

At 10:03 AM 3/19/97 -0800, Glen Zorn wrote:
>I'm not sure I understand your point, Bob.  Surely most (if not all)
>dial-up users will be using PPP, which already offers compression.  What
>am I missing?

Once you encrypt you cannot compress, or else there is something wrong with
your crypto, as I understand it.  Thus PPP compression would only act on
the PPP and IP header stuff.

No offense, Glen, but this question tends to indicate that you have missed
a big part of the compression discussion.

Another reason given for IPsec compression is to get a packet to fit into
an IP tunnel payload.  The argument against this is that MTU discovery
should handle this problem.

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212