Re: ESP revisions straw poll

> From: dpkemp@missi.ncsc.mil (David P. Kemp)
> And I share the discomforting feeling that procedure is being abused.
>
> * The two public IPSEC sessions in Memphis were not making a great deal
>   of progress, so the developers-only session was convened on the spot to
>   hash out the issues and propose solutions to the WG at large.

The IPSec meetings for several years have not made any tangible progress.

> * The developers group had nearly unanimous agreement not to support
>   ESP without encryption.

Yep.

>   Orman, Simpson, Glatting, Lynn, Kent, Lambert, Kemp) expressed
>   support for it (to varying degrees) on the public list.

Woah!  You've got me in the wrong camp!

I'm against encryptionless ESP, as mandatory to support, or even as
_mentioned_ in the ESP base.

What I noted was that an "encryptionless" transform could be written.
It could have its own RFC number.  Bellovin has recently offered.

I noted these things in order to bring the argument to a conclusion,
since the "encryptionless" camp could have their wishes as a
non-mandatory entension.

But they don't seem to be satisfied.  They want to be mandatory.

> The IETF process absolutely requires that any "decisions" reached at
> meetings be confirmed by discussions on the mailing list.

Absolutely, but that has happened.  It's been a month and a half!

WSimpson@UMich.edu
BSimpson@MorningStar.com