Re: What price security?

Perry E. Metzger says:
> > What could you get done if you had a CAD rendering app running that
> > was taking 65% of that 1333MHz Pentium's power?
> Hopefully it wouldn't be doing I/O at a full clip, but if it was, you
> obviously couldn't run both.

Which is precisely the point. In some cases you don't feel the delay
at all, in others it may hurt you.

> You are accurately pointing out that in
> theory this stuff hurts performance.

I don't think it's "just" the theory. If you don't run CAD and similar
things, then for you it's 100% theory and you don't have to worry.  If
however you do run those ugly CPU-hungry apps - then for you it's 100%
practice and you feel the hurt.

> The point is, though, that things aren't nearly as bad as people
> thought, and that with CPUs getting faster the performance is only
> going to improve.

The point is taken, but the problem is - as CPU and bandwidth get
better, the work we make them do increases at the same (if not
higher) ratio. So if you'll be solving today's problems on
tomorrow's CPUs and networks - you're fine. But if you
face tomorrow's problems on today's (and even tomorrow's)
hardware - I'd drop that arrogant smile (:-).

I'm sure CP/M would fly on today's Pentium. Win95 - doesn't.
Do you see my  drift? (:-)
[Please don't tell me how fast Linux runs - I know. It's my main
operating system :-]
--
Regards,
Uri		uri@watson.ibm.com