Re:

Rodney,

At 8:21 PM -0400 8/19/97, Rodney Thayer wrote:

>I believe current consensus is that replay is mandatory to implement for an
>automatically keyed situation and mandatory to not attempt in a manual
>keyed situation.
>
>[by automatic I mean ISAKMP, by manual I really mean MANUAL, i.e. human
>intervention and/or static configuration, not "out of band"]

The current drafts only state that anti-replay must not be used for
manually keyed SAs; they do not state the converse.  I don't recall any WG
discussion calling for mandatory use of anti-replay for automatically keyed
SAs.  However, if we did adopt that stance, it would remove the base
requirement for a receiver to advise a sender if anti-replay were enabled
at the receiver.

Steve