Re: Use IPSEC as SSH replacement

>  Does it support a similar system as SSH? That is, asuming IKE/IPSEC
>  implementation on both ends, two totally unrelated hosts can setup a
>  secure connection between them. Without any preconfigured keys or
>  knowledge about each others public keys?

It's close.  The two IKE daemons need a way to authenticate each other,
and that needs either shared secrets or a trusted third party.  SSH has
this requirement too, hidden in its "I haven't talked to that host before,
should I accept that he's telling the truth about who he is?" question,
but IKE needs a more definitive solution than "ask the user".

The trusted third party for IKE could be Secure DNS, or it could be a
certificate authority whose identity and authenticity is known to the IKE
daemon by other means.

> After that one could just use unmodified tools (telnet, smtp, etc)
> again.

Exactly.  IPSEC is secure *IP*, which covers all IP-using applications.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net
                                                     (henry@zoo.toronto.edu)

Follow-Ups: References: