Re: Minor Security issues regarding Kb rekeying

> For IPSEC SAs:

> Suppose an IPSEC SA with a lifetime of 1000Kb was established
> between two peer.  Alice encrypts 1000Kb of data using this SA but
> only 900Kb of encrypted data reach Bob.  Eve has now 1000Kb of
> encrypted data and can after cracking the SAs keys, transmit data to
> Bob who thinks this SA is still valid.

The comments about explicit SA deletes being the answer here are part
of the story.  Howevver, I think is that this is one of the places
where a margin of safety comes into play...  if the algorithm is
crackable in near-real-time with ~900kb of traffic, the per-key limit
should be much smaller than ~1000kb..

Also, if you're trying to make a marginal/weak algorithm "safe" to use
to secure real-time communications which don't have to be secret
forever, you clearly want to use both Kb and time limits on the SA.

					- Bill