FW: Configuration of mobile users

Title: FW: Configuration of mobile users

-----Original Message-----
From: Ricky Charlet
Sent: Monday, March 22, 1999 10:06 AM
To: 'Michael Richardson'
Subject: RE: Configuration of mobile users

Howdy ()

        To me, this hybrid seems like the worst of both worlds solution. We don't get to leave the ISAKMP/IKE state machine alone AND we don't get non-IP protocol support.

        Let me put up my thoughts on how these two proposals would work out. There probably are gaps and/or flaws in my thinking, and I am sure people on this list can uncover them.

        The ISAKMP-config / ISAKMP-Xauth solution requires a new 'phase 1.5' exchange and lets you carry just about any info you want down that protected exchange... in our case we are discussing putting boot-strapping IP configuration information AND/OR proxied external authentication systems challenge/responses into that 'phase 1.5' exchange. Note that the boot strapping IP config info could just as easily have been IPX info or AppleTalk info or ....  By the time you get around to building your phase 2 SA, you have loaded bootstrapping config onto the client AND you have authenticated / authorized the client with a mechanism of you choice.

        The DHCP draft implies that anyone from 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 be allowed to build a phase 2 SA to your authentication server, it is assumed that this SA will be VERY short lived (one to four minutes?). The client is only connected to an authentication/authorization server long enough to get some credentials. Then the client builds a new phase 2 SA to what ever resource the credentials allow. Note that this solution required no new 'phase 1.5' exchange definitions, but it is only ever going to work with IP due to its reliance on DHCP.

#  Ricky Charlet
#   rcharlet@RedCreek.com
#  (510) 795-6903
end Howdy;