Re: IPSec Throughput

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Ted Hannock wrote:
> Does anyone know what effect IPSec has on a particular transmission?
> I read the RFC and it stated that the AH is 31 bytes long.  Is this the
> only overhead to an encrypted packet?  If not, what else is added and
> how much overhead?

The details depend very much on what encryption algorithm is being used,
what authentication algorithm is being used, and certain other details.
There is no single number which is *the* overhead involved.

> If a 1meg file is encrypted using IPSec, what does
> the header/encryption add to this file?

IPSEC encrypts packets, not files.  The overhead involved depends not only
on the variables mentioned above, but on how the file gets broken up into
packets, which in turn also depends on what application-level protocol is
being used to transfer it.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net
                                                     (henry@zoo.toronto.edu)