IPSec Throughput

To All,

Does anyone know what effect IPSec has on a particular transmission?  I read the RFC and it stated that the AH is 31 bytes long.  Is this the only overhead to an encrypted packet?  If not, what else is added and how much overhead?  If a 1meg file is encrypted using IPSec, what does the header/encryption add to this file?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

 C I S C O  S Y S T E M S     Ted Hannock
                                         Systems Engineer
                                      Cable East Operations

       ||         ||        Voice - 1.609.642.7073
       ||         ||        Pager (Voice) - 1.800.365.4578

308 Harper Drive, Suite 100
Moorestown, New Jersey 08057