keepalives (was Re: IPSec SA DELETE in "dangling" implementation)

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Dan Harkins wrote:
>   I think a nice generic keep alive function would be more useful to
> implement. Why doesn't someone write a draft on this subject?

I'm sort of working myself up to it, i.e. we're still wondering internally
what's best.

Problem I see is that there are several different scenarios where different
types of keepalives will be necessary (i.e. a dial-up scenario has different
requirements than a straight ethernet scenario; ethernet scenario will be
more efficient and optimizable, but dial-up is not). Once I get something
written up, I'll post it to the list, but I have my doubts that we'll come up
with a single sanctioned mechanism. There'll likely be at least two. It's
possible we can come up with one generic enough to be used in both cases, but
I doubt it (I'm a pessimist).

jan
 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847