Re: Phase 1 KB lifetime

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:52:28 EST you wrote

> But if you:
>
> 1. State that "It is _never_ a good idea to just enforce a lifetime without
> telling the peer".
> 	AND
> 2. Agree that lifetime constraints are a component of policy.
> 	AND
> 3. Want to remove the definition of the kb lifetime magic number from IKE.
>
> ...then like it or not you ARE legislating policy.

No I'm not. You can delete phase 1 SAs based on any arbitrary occurance you
like-- phases of the moon, closing stock price of NN, whatever. Note that
none of these have magic numbers in IKE. The question was raised (not by me
I might add) to move kilobyte lifetime for phase 1 to the pile of other
arbitrary occurances that don't really make sense and therefore do not have
magic numbers assigned.

I really would like to legislate the word "policy" (also known as the "p-word")
out of discussions on the protocol though. My illustrated dictionary has a
picture of a rat hole next to the definition of "policy".

  Dan.