From: owner-dhcp-v4@bucknell.edu [mailto:owner-dhcp-v4@bucknell.edu]On
Behalf Of Bernie Volz
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 8:45 AM
To: DHCPv4 discussion list
Cc: DHCP-V4@bucknell.edu
Subject: RE: Relayed lease extension

Barr:

>This set-up might be used in other instances where the end-client never
>gets an address via DHCP itself (if I recall, PPP sends it in the inital
>negotiation to the client and thus the client isn't running DHCP at
>all). If the BigBox gets the lease on the address for a shorter time
>than the client is connected, it will need to renew the lease and hence
>the situation Wim is looking at.
>
>...Bernie, did you really mean to say that?  It seems to me that in the
case
>you describe, BigBox (and NOT its downstream client) is the host known to a
>DHCP server as the DHCP client.  If you are suggesting a different
>interpretation, such as BigBox acting as proxy for its client, then the
>protocol may not adequately cover all implementation cases.

For renewals, how are they handled? The renewal is sent by BigBox with
the client's IP address. If the response is send back to the client's
IP address, then either:
a) BigBox must take steps to prevent it from going to the client and
intercept it.
b) The renewal will go directly to the client and in the case of PPP
where the client isn't running DHCP, it will not have the desired
effect.

Since the original lease was done by BigBox on behalf of the client, the
renewal must also be done by BigBox on behalf of the client.

- Bernie