Re: Safety of pre-shared keys? (Re: Reliable delete notifies)

Thanks, I think it helps. I really didn't have sufficient time to read it,
but here's how I understood it:

Aggressive mode is vulnerable to off-line attacks against the pre-shared
key because HASH_I contains enough information about it, and it's transmitted
unencrypted. Main mode has no such vulnerability because HASH_I is transmitted
encrypted.

So, informed GUESSING would produce the additional results:
- Aggressive mode with 3rd msg. encrypted is still vulnerable since the same
  information can probably be obtained from HASH_R.
- Base mode has a similar vulnerability.

Ari

--
Ari Huttunen                   phone: +358 9 859 900
Senior Software Engineer       fax  : +358 9 8599 0452

F-Secure Corporation       http://www.F-Secure.com

F-Secure products: Integrated Solutions for Enterprise Security

Follow-Ups: References: