From: EXT Kim Edwards [mailto:kimed@nortelnetworks.com]
Sent: 03. November 2000 17:57
To: ipsec
Subject: Out of Sync Security Policies

We are having a problem with out of sync security policies (sp) and we
would like to know what other implementations are doing to address
this problem. It is possible that we are simply missing something from
the RFC.

setup:

Gateway A                                                      Gateway B

Initiator --------------------- Responder

sp/1
sp/1
ip addresses: 10.1.1.0                                     ip addresses:
10.1.1.0
protocol: any                                                  protocol:
tcp

sp/2

ip addresses: 10.1.1.0

protocol: icmp

Assumptions:

1. all data traffic is flowing from Gateway A to Gateway B.

2. The selectors in a negotiated SA use the value from the
corresponding security policy (option b from section 4.4.1, RFC 2401).

3. there are no SAs initially setup.

4. all security policies have the action: protect.

Now, if we generate a tcp packet, an SA will be negotiated between A's
sp/1 and B's sp/1. The selectors in A's SA will contain "any" as a
protocol (assumption 2).

If we then send an ICMP packet, the ICMP packet will see that an SA
exists according to the sp and SA selectors and a protected packet
will be sent to B. B will verify/remove the protection and then verify
that the selectors match. Since B's SA selectors contain the protocol
"tcp" (assumption 2), the packet will be discarded as the protocol is
"icmp".
Therefore, it is impossible to send ICMP traffic without clearing the
previous
SA or having matching sp on both sides.

How do we get ICMP traffic through in such a setup?

We must be missing the obvious.

I must apologize if this has been discussed in past threads, but I
could not find any references to this problem.

Kim Edwards