Re: RFC 2401 section 5.2.1

Joe Touch wrote:

> Henry Spencer wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Francis Dupont wrote:
> > >    It would be sensible to retain both if transport mode was the fundamental
> > >    IPsec mode and tunnel mode was *just* IPIP tunneling over a transport-mode
> > >    connection.
> > >
> > > => it is...
> >
> > No.  Not by RFC 2401, it's not.  Please distinguish carefully between the
> > way you think the protocols should work, and the way they are currently
> > specified to work.  Don't be misled by RFC 2401 saying that tunnel mode is
> > "essentially" a tunnel within transport mode; that is a useful explanation
> > but it is not literally true, not when you examine the details.
>
> The differences are outlined in our ID, draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-00.txt.

PS - that draft did expire, and may not be widely availabley anymore.
However, I just completed and submitted an update, which addresses only
the IPIP encapsulation/decapsulation rules as an appendix, mostly.

It should be available in the usual places shortly; in the meantime, it
can be retreived from:

	http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-01.txt
Joe