Re: Position statement on IKE development

At 03:20 PM 8/3/2001, Alex Alten wrote:

>Unfortunately what you and I think probably doesn't matter.  What matters
>is that end user customers will hear that IPsec's IKE is broken, and they
>will then ask themselves the question, is all of IPsec also broken?  It's
>anyone's guess as to how this will play out in the VPN markets, etc.

It's not as if VPN customers have a well-recognized alternative with a less
tarnished reputation. If anything, this simply illustrates how much
pioneering work has gone into IKE.

>My own personal question is why the IPsec working group did not have a
>thorough cryptanalysis done by professionals, say by an outfit like ISSI,
>before the standards were issued?

Some weaknesses emerge only after you've actually built and deployed a
protocol. Such flaws may be in the implementation, but some may be faulty
assumptions about how the protocol will work in a practical deployment.
It's especially hard to predict problems when the protocol is the
foundation of a fairly new class of products, like VPN gateways, since
there's not enough well-known prior art to base the analytical models on.

Rick.
smith@securecomputing.com