Re: SOI: identity protection and DOS

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Do you mean pre-shared secret-key or pre-shared public-key?  I happen
> to agree with Steve that pre-shared public-key is sufficient (and
> probably superior) to pre-shared secret-key authentication.  In other
> words, we pre-share RSA Public Keys.  No certificates are necessarily
> required.  As was pointed out, see SSH for an example of how this
> works.

I agree that pre-shared public key is sufficient, and argue that either
one is necessary for at least easy testing. There's also one benefit
to this not already mentioned (that I noticed), i.e. that
"foobar" or "you'll never guess" are not public keys.

Ari

temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Ari Huttunen                   phone: +358 9 2520 0700
Software Architect             fax  : +358 9 2520 5001

F-Secure Corporation       http://www.F-Secure.com

F(ully)-Secure products: Securing the Mobile Enterprise

Follow-Ups: References: