Re: SOI: identity protection and DOS

Ari Huttunen writes:
 > Derek Atkins wrote:
 > > Do you mean pre-shared secret-key or pre-shared public-key?  I happen
 > > to agree with Steve that pre-shared public-key is sufficient (and
 > > probably superior) to pre-shared secret-key authentication.  In other
 > > words, we pre-share RSA Public Keys.  No certificates are necessarily
 > > required.  As was pointed out, see SSH for an example of how this
 > > works.
 >
 > I agree that pre-shared public key is sufficient, and argue that either
 > one is necessary for at least easy testing. There's also one benefit
 > to this not already mentioned (that I noticed), i.e. that
 > "foobar" or "you'll never guess" are not public keys.

It's probably worth tossing into the debate that
KINK provides the ability to do third party as
well as peer-peer[*] symmetric key SA
establishment, which hopefully meets all of the
other requirements. I'm sort of neutral about
whether SOI should provide the ability to use
pre-shared keys again, but unlike the first
go-round of IKE, we do have a viable alternative
if you like pre-shared keys.

       Mike

[*] All that is needed to construct a peer to peer
    protocol out of KINK is to implement AS-REQ/TGS-REQ
    on the KINK peer and camp on port 88.