RE: Son-of-IKE Selection Criteria?

Hallam-Baker, Phillip writes:
 > Michael,
 >
 > 	Could you expand a bit more here? I do not follow IPv6 deployment is
 > much detail and I suspect many other do not.
 >
 > What is the current staus of disposable addresses? Are they likely to be
 > widely deployed? How does the mechanism work, does it depend on security
 > properties in the key exchange?

   With IP6, the bottom 64 bits of the unicast address
   are, essentially, a host identifier. When a host
   configures an interface, it generally auto-configures
   its interface addresses for its link, site and global
   prefixes, usually using router advertisements to figure
   that out. It does this by taking the prefix and appending
   on something to the lower 64 bits. Those can be be a
   long-lived NAI (MAC address) which should be unique,
   or the host can create a temporary address(es) if it
   wants privacy. In all cases, it's required to do
   duplicate address detection to check for collisions.
   Theoretically, it can create as many private addresses
   as it wants, as often as it wants. This is purely an
   implementation issue of the host; I don't know
   whether certain well known OS vendors are
   implementing it in their v6 stack yet.

   Now, again, I'm not sure whether that's
   applicable here or not. My sense is that this
   is a worthwhile general discussion since we
   also should consider the implications of
   multihoming, mobility and renumbering which
   want to change the high 64 bits (eg, the
   prefix). As far as I understand, IPsec doesn't
   play very well with these (eg, would require
   separate sessions). I've been meaning to bring
   this up, but have been lacking on time...

	    Mike