Re:

It depends on what are the security requirements and threats.
In my opinion, RSVP security is really neither hop-by-hop nor
end-to-end (or I should say it is a mixture of both).

Certain fields in RSVP are "mutable" (for example, maximum
available bandwidth along the route path), and therefore, a
pure end-to-end will not be possible. On the other hand, if
we assume (i.e., our threat model) that an intermediate RSVP
router (on the route path) can be malicious, then you need
some forms of end-to-end to protect at least those "static"
fields in an end-to-end fashion.

My students and I studied this problem a few years ago and the
following is a web link to our paper:

http://arqos.csc.ncsu.edu/papers/1999_10_iwqos99.pdf

This work is somewhat old, but hopefully it will provide some
information about the technical difficulties in dealing with
RSVP security.
-Felix

Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

> hi
>
> what speaks against applying ipsec hop-by-hop (whereby a hop is a rsvp
> capable router)?
>
> ciao
> hannes

Dr. S. (Shyhtsun) Felix Wu                           wu@cs.ucdavis.edu
Associate Professor                      http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/~wu
Computer Science Department                     office: 1-530-754-7070
University of California at Davis               fax:    1-530-752-4767