Re: SOI QUESTION: 3.1 DoS protection

| Notes from the chair:
|
| This next set of questions address the issues listed in section 3 of the
| soi-features I-D, "Protocol Mechanics".
|

| Please discuss and answer:
|
| 3.1 DoS protection
|
| 3.1.A) WRT DOS attacks that exhaust memory or CPU resources, is it more
| important to always keep the message count at 4, or is it acceptable to
add
| an additional roundtrip of messages when the responder thinks he's under
| attack?

Optionally adding an additional round trip creates another path through
the negotiation that is similar to providing different modes (e.g. main
and aggressive). I'm not opposed to the additional round trip, just the
fact that it is optional.

| 3.1.B) WRT UDP fragmentation attack protection, both IKEv2 and JFK provide
| basically equivalent protection. Does anyone care about the details of how
| JFK or IKEv2 provide this functionality.

Not sure I understand how they provide protection. With IKEv2 as soon as
an attacker witnesses an exchange it can then begin to flood the node with
fragments that look as if they came from one of the nodes in the exchange.
With JFK once a valid fragment has been seen, the id field can then be used
to send invalid fragments. Am I missing something here?

| 3.1.C) Is it important to have precomputation of exponentials available
for
| use as a mechanism for protecting against cpu consumption attacks?

Implementation detail.