RE: SOI QUESTION: 3.1 DoS protection

> Optionally adding an additional round trip creates another
> path through
> the negotiation that is similar to providing different modes
> (e.g. main
> and aggressive). I'm not opposed to the additional round
> trip, just the
> fact that it is optional.

Actually, it is more akin to the "abort and retry with new parameters"
condition that is already present in both protocols.

> Not sure I understand how they provide protection. With IKEv2
> as soon as
> an attacker witnesses an exchange it can then begin to flood
> the node with
> fragments that look as if they came from one of the nodes in
> the exchange.

Just like cookies, this feature is aimed at the class of DoS attacks where
the attacker cannot sniff along the data path. Therefore, the attacker
cannot "witness an exchange".

There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.