Re: revised IPsec processing model

Stephen Kent wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I believe the bottom line here is that you view situations where dynamic
> routing will affect the choice of an SPD as common, whereas many of us
> view them as relatively rare.  We each have our own models of common vs.
> rare operation and there is probably no point inn debating further which
> is more common in what context and/or at what time (now vs. future).

Steve,

An IP security architecture ought to support IP, which includes dynamic
routing. Dynamic routing necessarily involves overlapping traffic
selectors; it is a disservice to assert this is a mere 'difference of
opinions'.

> As I revise the processing model to take into account the comments I
> have received, I will try to reword it to be as clear as possible about
> the security implications associated with different assumptions about
> routing tables and the extent to which they may change without secure
> intermediation, as the security implications of such changes.

That is a good first step, but I remain concerned about whether this
realization/clarification warrants other, more significant changes.

Joe