DAM-L global warming could make water more scarce/LS (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Lori Pottinger -----

From owner-irn-safrica@netvista.net  Thu Dec 21 13:46:23 2000
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:50:57 -0800
To: irn-safrica@netvista.net
From: Lori Pottinger <lori@irn.org>
Subject: global warming could make water more scarce/LS
Sender: owner-irn-safrica@netvista.net

   Global Warming Could Make Water A Scarce Resource

   By Cat Lazaroff

   OAKLAND, California, December 15, 2000 (ENS) - Global warming could have
   serious impacts on water resources in the United States, and some of
those effects
   are already being felt, a new report released today concludes. To
counter those
   effects, government and water management officials must act now - a
prescription
   that may be a hard sell under the new George W. Bush administration.

   Those are the major conclusions of a two year study of the potential
impacts of
   climate change on the nation's fresh and salt water systems.

   "Water: The Potential  Consequences of Climate
   Variability and Change," concludes that climate
   changes in this century  may have serious
   implications for U.S. water  resources. In fact,
   scientists are already  observing changes in snow and rainfall,
freeze and thaw dates and runoff patterns,
   attributable to global warming.

   "Humans are changing the climate - the evidence is ... increasingly
compelling,"
   said Peter Gleick, president of the Pacific Institute and the lead
author of the
   study. The study was jointly released today by the nonprofit Pacific
Institute and
   the U.S. Department of the Interior.

   The report offers the first opportunity for water managers to access
information
   that can help them make long term policy decisions, said David Hayes, deputy
   secretary of the Interior Department.

   "The report gives us both a positive and negative message," Hayes
said. On the
   negative side, "yes, climate change is having important impacts" on
"critically
   important" water and coastal resources.

    Low lying areas like Jupiter
    Beach, Florida face
    flooding as sea levels rise.
    (Photo by Marge Beaver
    courtesy of NOAA)

    "But it is not a 'sky is
    falling' report that merely
    paints a bleak picture,"
    Hayes continued. "It gives
    us an opportunity to plan
    ahead."

    The assessment caps more
    than two years of work by
    representatives of the
    government, corporate and
    non-governmental groups
    to evaluate the implications
    of both existing climate
    variability and future
   climate change on national water resources.

   Scientists have determined that the buildup of greenhouse gases in the
   atmosphere over the past century, primarily from fossil fuel combustion, has
   contributed to a temperature increase of about two-thirds of a
degree Celsius in
   the United States, with 1998 the warmest year on record.

   The report concludes that this has already resulted in substantial
thawing of the
   permafrost in the Alaska Arctic and unprecedented melting of
mountain glaciers,
   an increase in sea level of between 10 to 20 centimeters, and an
alteration of
   water runoff patterns as a consequence of decreased snow and ice cover and
   earlier melting.

   High Alpine meadows like
   this one in Steamboat
   Springs, Colorado, could
   disappear as the Earth
   warms. (Photo courtesy High
   Meadows Ranch)

   Climate models predict that
   temperatures could
   increase another three to
   six degrees Celsius by the
   end of this century.
   Warming of this magnitude could seriously affect U.S. water
resources, the new
   report concludes.

   Among the impacts outlined by the study are:

   Snowfall and snowmelt will be significantly affected in the Sierra Nevada,
   Rocky Mountains, and the Pacific Northwest, leading to changes in the
   timing and magnitude of runoff. These changes could reduce the amount
   of water available to drinking water reservoirs and for freshwater species.
   Rising sea levels will threaten coastal aquifers and water supplies.
   Vulnerable regions include Cape Cod, Long Island, the coastal aquifers of
   the Carolinas and the central coast of California.
   The risk of increased flooding may be as serious and widely distributed as
   the expected impacts of droughts.
   Changes associated with climate change, such as increases in lake and
   stream temperatures, permafrost melting, and a reduction of water clarity,
   could seriously threaten fish and water species and critical habitats such as
   wetlands.

   The study produced more than 40 new peer reviewed papers, and almost 1,000
   more were evaluated and summarized. The report went through
extensive external
   reviews, including reviews by the different assessment teams, a
diverse advisory
   group, two separate formal external scientific review periods, and a
60 day public
   comment period.

    Melting permafrost could
    affect birds that nest in the
    Alaskan Arctic tundra, like this
    long tailed jaeger (Photo
    courtesy Pacific Northwest
    National Laboratory)

    Despite all the resources used
    to produce the report, the
    authors found they could not
    predict specific effects for
    particular regions with any
    degree of certainty. Although
    there are now a number of
    highly sophisticated models for
    predicting climate change
    effects, they often disagree
    about predictions on the
   regional level.

   "Even if the models said the same thing we should be somewhat skeptical,
   because these models are not perfect," said Gleick. "We're very
confident that the
   temperature is going to go up, and will continue to go up until we
get a handle on
   our greenhouse gas emissions."

   "This assessment was designed to be the first step," Gleick noted.
"Our hope is
   that our ability to look at regional impacts will improve in the
coming decades."

   "We think there will always be uncertainty," said Gleick. But "not
everything is
   uncertain," he noted. "We know enough now to take some actions."

   Changing snowfall patterns could
   reduce the amount of runoff water
   from spring thaws available to fill
   reservoirs like Shasta Lake, behind
   the Shasta Dam in California (Photo
   courtesy NOAA)

   Gleick emphasized the importance
   of water conservation and efficiency
   programs, and the need to look
   beyond traditional options for water
   supply options, such as dams and
   reservoirs to potential alternative
   sources of supply, including
   wastewater reclamation and reuse and desalination.

   "Sole reliance on traditional management responses is a mistake,"
Gleick argued.
   "Water managers need to integrate possible climate change impacts into their
   planning processes and to build flexibility into the system to
maximize our ability
   to respond to changing conditions."

   Gleick emphasized the need to focus on measures to reduce the risks
of climate
   change and to develop effective ways to adapt to the inevitable changes.

   "Water managers should begin now assessing how their resources could be
   affected by climate change," said Gleick. "We're worried that if
they don't start
   taking actions now, we're going to see the adverse effects of climate change
   hitting us."

    Fish like these rainbow trout
    could be hurt by rising water
    temperatures and changes in
    the amount and timing of
    spring runoff (Photo courtesy
    Pacific Northwest National
    Laboratory)

    "One of the conclusions I take
    form this report is that some of
    our assumptions about water
    availability for the future may
    be misguided," said deputy
    secretary Hayes. "Our country is
    now looking for water resources
    to be shared among competing
    needs, including environmental
   needs."

   "We are on the threshold of some very major investments in water
infrastructure
   throughout the country," Hayes said, citing the recently signed Everglades
   restoration bill, which promises to spend $8 billion dollars to
reroute water within
   the nation's largest wetlands.

   But that effort could be derailed before it is begun. "Rising sea
level is going to be
   a challenge to the Everglades," said Gleick, a consideration which
may not have
   been given enough weight in drafting the 30 year restoration plan.
"It's a very
   important issue to the Everglades," because the largely freshwater
wetlands are
   "very sensitive" to sea level rise.

   The massive San Francisco Bay Delta restoration project, another pet
project of the
   Clinton administration, could face similar difficulties, Gleick
said. "They've not
   adequately looked at" sea level rise from global warming, he said.

   Most climate change models project between half a meter to a meter
of sea level
   rise over 100 years, an amount which may not appear to be very large at face
   value. But "the sea level rise we're talking about is faster than
any sea level rise
   we've had to deal with in our civilization," Gleick warned.

   "All of these efforts, as they proceed down a long path, need to now
take a hard
   look at potential climate change impacts," said Hayes. "Climate
change is the new
   kid on the block in terms of a new factor that ought to be taken into
   consideration."

   Texas Governor George W. Bush, the nation's new
   President-elect, is expected to be less inclined to act
   quickly on climate change issues than the current
   administration (Photo courtesy Bush 2000)

   However, the administration set to enter the White
   House in January may not give much weight to
   potential climate change effects. President Elect
   George W. Bush is on record as opposing the Kyoto
   Protocol, an international treaty aimed at reducing
   greenhouse gas emissions.

   Bush has also said he believes that more data must
   be gathered before any action is taken to counter
   climate change.

   "We're about to have a new administration in town
   that I'm afraid may not show the same sensitivity to
   this problem that the current administration has
   done," said Hayes.

   Yet "part of this is independent of the next administration," noted
Gleick. "I think
   no matter what, we're in for climate change. There is some
unavoidable climate
   change coming. In that sense, it doesn't matter who the president
is, or who the
   Interior secretary is."

   "We do need to being to look at these things now, and if we don't the risk of
   surprise is greater," Gleick continued. "The risk of being
blindsided is greater. It's
   really time to begin integrating these issues into our long term planning."

   The full report is available at: http://www.pacinst.org/naw.html

        Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
          and Editor, World Rivers Review
             International Rivers Network
                1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                    Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                          http://www.irn.org
--============_-1234945801==_ma============

  --></style><title>global warming could make water more
flamenco</font></div>
&nbsp;Global Warming Could Make Water A Scarce Resource<br>
&nbsp;By Cat Lazaroff<br>
&nbsp;OAKLAND, California, December 15, 2000 (ENS) - Global warming
could have<br>
&nbsp;serious impacts on water resources in the United States, and
some of those effects<br>
&nbsp;are already being felt, a new report released today concludes.
To counter those<br>
&nbsp;effects, government and water management officials must act now
- a prescription<br>
&nbsp;that may be a hard sell under the new George W. Bush
administration.<br>
&nbsp;Those are the major conclusions of a two year study of the
potential impacts of</font></div>
on the nation's fresh and salt water systems.</font></div>
The Potential&nbsp; Consequences of Climate</font></div>
and Change,&quot; concludes that climate</font></div>
this century&nbsp; may have serious</font></div>
for U.S. water&nbsp; resources. In fact,</font></div>
already&nbsp; observing changes in snow and rainfall, freeze and thaw
dates and runoff patterns,<br>
&nbsp;attributable to global warming.<br>
&nbsp;&quot;Humans are changing the climate - the evidence is ...
increasingly compelling,&quot;<br>
&nbsp;said Peter Gleick, president of the Pacific Institute and the
lead author of the<br>
&nbsp;study. The study was jointly released today by the nonprofit
Pacific Institute and<br>
&nbsp;the U.S. Department of the Interior.<br>
&nbsp;The report offers the first opportunity for water managers to
access information<br>
&nbsp;that can help them make long term policy decisions, said David
Hayes, deputy<br>
&nbsp;secretary of the Interior Department.<br>
&nbsp;&quot;The report gives us both a positive and negative message,&quot;
Hayes said. On the<br>
&nbsp;negative side, &quot;yes, climate change is having important
impacts&quot; on &quot;critically<br>
&nbsp;important&quot; water and coastal resources.<br>
&nbsp; Low lying areas like Jupiter<br>
&nbsp; Beach, Florida face<br>
&nbsp; flooding as sea levels rise.<br>
&nbsp; (Photo by Marge Beaver<br>
&nbsp; courtesy of NOAA)<br>
&nbsp; &quot;But it is not a 'sky is<br>
&nbsp; falling' report that merely<br>
&nbsp; paints a bleak picture,&quot;<br>
&nbsp; Hayes continued. &quot;It gives<br>
&nbsp; us an opportunity to plan<br>
&nbsp; ahead.&quot;<br>
&nbsp; The assessment caps more<br>
&nbsp; than two years of work by<br>
&nbsp; representatives of the<br>
&nbsp; government, corporate and<br>
&nbsp; non-governmental groups<br>
&nbsp; to evaluate the implications<br>
&nbsp; of both existing climate<br>
&nbsp; variability and future<br>
&nbsp;climate change on national water resources.<br>
&nbsp;Scientists have determined that the buildup of greenhouse gases
in the<br>
&nbsp;atmosphere over the past century, primarily from fossil fuel
combustion, has<br>
&nbsp;contributed to a temperature increase of about two-thirds of a
degree Celsius in<br>
&nbsp;the United States, with 1998 the warmest year on record.<br>
&nbsp;The report concludes that this has already resulted in
substantial thawing of the<br>
&nbsp;permafrost in the Alaska Arctic and unprecedented melting of
mountain glaciers,<br>
&nbsp;an increase in sea level of between 10 to 20 centimeters, and an
alteration of<br>
&nbsp;water runoff patterns as a consequence of decreased snow and ice
cover and<br>
&nbsp;earlier melting.<br>
&nbsp;High Alpine meadows like<br>
&nbsp;this one in Steamboat<br>
&nbsp;Springs, Colorado, could<br>
&nbsp;disappear as the Earth<br>
&nbsp;warms. (Photo courtesy High<br>
&nbsp;Meadows Ranch)<br>
&nbsp;Climate models predict that<br>
&nbsp;temperatures could<br>
&nbsp;increase another three to<br>
&nbsp;six degrees Celsius by the<br>
&nbsp;end of this century.<br>
&nbsp;Warming of this magnitude could seriously affect U.S. water
resources, the new<br>
&nbsp;report concludes.<br>
&nbsp;Among the impacts outlined by the study are:<br>
&nbsp;Snowfall and snowmelt will be significantly affected in the
Sierra Nevada,<br>
&nbsp;Rocky Mountains, and the Pacific Northwest, leading to changes
in the<br>
&nbsp;timing and magnitude of runoff. These changes could reduce the
amount<br>
&nbsp;of water available to drinking water reservoirs and for
freshwater species.<br>
&nbsp;Rising sea levels will threaten coastal aquifers and water
supplies.<br>
&nbsp;Vulnerable regions include Cape Cod, Long Island, the coastal
aquifers of<br>
&nbsp;the Carolinas and the central coast of California.<br>
&nbsp;The risk of increased flooding may be as serious and widely
distributed as<br>
&nbsp;the expected impacts of droughts.<br>
&nbsp;Changes associated with climate change, such as increases in
lake and<br>
&nbsp;stream temperatures, permafrost melting, and a reduction of
water clarity,</font></div>
seriously threaten fish and water species and critical habitats such
as<br>
&nbsp;wetlands.<br>
&nbsp;The study produced more than 40 new peer reviewed papers, and
almost 1,000<br>
&nbsp;more were evaluated and summarized. The report went through
extensive external<br>
&nbsp;reviews, including reviews by the different assessment teams, a
diverse advisory<br>
&nbsp;group, two separate formal external scientific review periods,
and a 60 day public<br>
&nbsp;comment period.<br>
&nbsp; Melting permafrost could<br>
&nbsp; affect birds that nest in the<br>
&nbsp; Alaskan Arctic tundra, like this<br>
&nbsp; long tailed jaeger (Photo<br>
&nbsp; courtesy Pacific Northwest<br>
&nbsp; National Laboratory)<br>
&nbsp; Despite all the resources used<br>
&nbsp; to produce the report, the<br>
&nbsp; authors found they could not<br>
&nbsp; predict specific effects for<br>
&nbsp; particular regions with any<br>
&nbsp; degree of certainty. Although<br>
&nbsp; there are now a number of<br>
&nbsp; highly sophisticated models for<br>
&nbsp; predicting climate change<br>
&nbsp; effects, they often disagree<br>
&nbsp; about predictions on the<br>
&nbsp;regional level.<br>
&nbsp;&quot;Even if the models said the same thing we should be
somewhat skeptical,<br>
&nbsp;because these models are not perfect,&quot; said Gleick.
&quot;We're very confident that the<br>
&nbsp;temperature is going to go up, and will continue to go up until
we get a handle on<br>
&nbsp;our greenhouse gas emissions.&quot;<br>
&nbsp;&quot;This assessment was designed to be the first step,&quot;
Gleick noted. &quot;Our hope is<br>
&nbsp;that our ability to look at regional impacts will improve in the
coming decades.&quot;<br>
&nbsp;&quot;We think there will always be uncertainty,&quot; said
Gleick. But &quot;not everything is<br>
&nbsp;uncertain,&quot; he noted. &quot;We know enough now to take some
actions.&quot;<br>
&nbsp;Changing snowfall patterns could<br>
&nbsp;reduce the amount of runoff water<br>
&nbsp;from spring thaws available to fill<br>
&nbsp;reservoirs like Shasta Lake, behind<br>
&nbsp;the Shasta Dam in California (Photo<br>
&nbsp;courtesy NOAA)<br>
&nbsp;Gleick emphasized the importance<br>
&nbsp;of water conservation and efficiency<br>
&nbsp;programs, and the need to look<br>
&nbsp;beyond traditional options for water<br>
&nbsp;supply options, such as dams and<br>
&nbsp;reservoirs to potential alternative<br>
&nbsp;sources of supply, including<br>
&nbsp;wastewater reclamation and reuse and desalination.<br>
&nbsp;&quot;Sole reliance on traditional management responses is a
mistake,&quot; Gleick argued.<br>
&nbsp;&quot;Water managers need to integrate possible climate change
impacts into their<br>
&nbsp;planning processes and to build flexibility into the system to
maximize our ability<br>
&nbsp;to respond to changing conditions.&quot;<br>
&nbsp;Gleick emphasized the need to focus on measures to reduce the
risks of climate<br>
&nbsp;change and to develop effective ways to adapt to the inevitable
changes.<br>
&nbsp;&quot;Water managers should begin now assessing how their
resources could be<br>
&nbsp;affected by climate change,&quot; said Gleick. &quot;We're
worried that if they don't start<br>
&nbsp;taking actions now, we're going to see the adverse effects of
climate change<br>
&nbsp;hitting us.&quot;<br>
&nbsp; Fish like these rainbow trout<br>
&nbsp; could be hurt by rising water<br>
&nbsp; temperatures and changes in<br>
&nbsp; the amount and timing of<br>
&nbsp; spring runoff (Photo courtesy<br>
&nbsp; Pacific Northwest National<br>
&nbsp; Laboratory)<br>
&nbsp; &quot;One of the conclusions I take<br>
&nbsp; form this report is that some of<br>
&nbsp; our assumptions about water<br>
&nbsp; availability for the future may<br>
&nbsp; be misguided,&quot; said deputy<br>
&nbsp; secretary Hayes. &quot;Our country is<br>
&nbsp; now looking for water resources<br>
&nbsp; to be shared among competing<br>
&nbsp; needs, including environmental<br>
&nbsp;needs.&quot;<br>
&nbsp;&quot;We are on the threshold of some very major investments in
water infrastructure<br>
&nbsp;throughout the country,&quot; Hayes said, citing the recently
signed Everglades<br>
&nbsp;restoration bill, which promises to spend $8 billion dollars to
reroute water within<br>
&nbsp;the nation's largest wetlands.<br>
&nbsp;But that effort could be derailed before it is begun.
&quot;Rising sea level is going to be<br>
&nbsp;a challenge to the Everglades,&quot; said Gleick, a
consideration which may not have<br>
&nbsp;been given enough weight in drafting the 30 year restoration
plan. &quot;It's a very<br>
&nbsp;important issue to the Everglades,&quot; because the largely
freshwater wetlands are<br>
&nbsp;&quot;very sensitive&quot; to sea level rise.<br>
&nbsp;The massive San Francisco Bay Delta restoration project, another
pet project of the<br>
&nbsp;Clinton administration, could face similar difficulties, Gleick
said. &quot;They've not<br>
&nbsp;adequately looked at&quot; sea level rise from global warming,
he said.</font></div>
&nbsp;Most climate change models project between half a meter to a
meter of sea level<br>
&nbsp;rise over 100 years, an amount which may not appear to be very
large at face<br>
&nbsp;value. But &quot;the sea level rise we're talking about is
faster than any sea level rise<br>
&nbsp;we've had to deal with in our civilization,&quot; Gleick
warned.<br>
&nbsp;&quot;All of these efforts, as they proceed down a long path,
need to now take a hard<br>
&nbsp;look at potential climate change impacts,&quot; said Hayes.
&quot;Climate change is the new<br>
&nbsp;kid on the block in terms of a new factor that ought to be taken
into<br>
&nbsp;consideration.&quot;<br>
&nbsp;Texas Governor George W. Bush, the nation's new<br>
&nbsp;President-elect, is expected to be less inclined to act<br>
&nbsp;quickly on climate change issues than the current<br>
&nbsp;administration (Photo courtesy Bush 2000)<br>
&nbsp;However, the administration set to enter the White<br>
&nbsp;House in January may not give much weight to<br>
&nbsp;potential climate change effects. President Elect<br>
&nbsp;George W. Bush is on record as opposing the Kyoto<br>
&nbsp;Protocol, an international treaty aimed at reducing<br>
&nbsp;greenhouse gas emissions.<br>
&nbsp;Bush has also said he believes that more data must<br>
&nbsp;be gathered before any action is taken to counter<br>
&nbsp;climate change.<br>
&nbsp;&quot;We're about to have a new administration in town<br>
&nbsp;that I'm afraid may not show the same sensitivity to<br>
&nbsp;this problem that the current administration has<br>
&nbsp;done,&quot; said Hayes.<br>
&nbsp;Yet &quot;part of this is independent of the next
administration,&quot; noted Gleick. &quot;I think<br>
&nbsp;no matter what, we're in for climate change. There is some
unavoidable climate<br>
&nbsp;change coming. In that sense, it doesn't matter who the
president is, or who the<br>
&nbsp;Interior secretary is.&quot;<br>
&nbsp;&quot;We do need to being to look at these things now, and if we
don't the risk of<br>
&nbsp;surprise is greater,&quot; Gleick continued. &quot;The risk of
being blindsided is greater. It's<br>
&nbsp;really time to begin integrating these issues into our long term
planning.&quot;<br>
&nbsp;The full report is available at:
http://www.pacinst.org/naw.html<br>

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::<span
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern
Africa Program,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; and Editor, World Rivers
Review<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
International Rivers Network<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
USA<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
1155&nbsp;&nbsp; Fax (510) 848 1008<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
http://www.irn.org<br>