[OPIRG-EVENTS] FW: animal rights rally - march 21st @ noon

Calling all dogs and their
Companions!

March Against Cruelty

Thursday, March 21st at Noon
on Parliament Hill

Bring your dog and show your support for Bill C-15B!

Canada's animal cruelty laws are more than 100 years old!  Bill C-15B will
make the changes we need to better protect animals.  Remember Java the
German Shepherd that was beaten and drowned in Brockville?  Remember Panda
the 10-week old puppy beaten to death by his owners' landlord in Wakefield?
Remember the 180 dogs seized from horrendous conditions in a puppy mill just
north of Toronto last year?  We need tougher laws to protect animals against
this kind of cruelty.

* Let's show the government Canadians care about animals.
* You and your dog can sign the petition.

Remember to stoop and scoop and keep your dog leashed and under control.
For information and to RSVP, please call Patricia or Jennifer at 241-8996

Canadian Federation of Humane Societies	www.cfhs.ca
International Fund for Animal Welfare  www.dontbecruel.ca

****************************

MEMORANDUM

TO: 	ALL SUPERVISORS, MANAGERS AND DIRECTORS

FROM: 	DANIELA ROQUE, MANAGER OF GOVERNMENT RELATIONS

DATE: 	Tuesday, March 12, 2002

SUBJECT:	RALLY IN OTTAWA FOR BILL C-15B - CRUELTY TO ANIMALS

The Canadian Federation of Humane Societies is holding a rally in Ottawa to
show support for Bill C-15B on Thursday, March 21.  I have attached a copy
of their rally poster for your information.

The Toronto Humane Society is organizing a group to attend this event.

If you and your staff would like to attend, please contact me in person, by
telephone, or email by MONDAY, MARCH 18.

Please let me know if you will take your own vehicle and can take
passengers.  I would also like to know who is bringing their four-legged
canine companion.  Transportation may change depending on the number of
attendees.
ABOUT BILL C-15B
The offences relating to cruelty to animals have not changed significantly
since 1892.  Cruelty to animals is a Criminal Code offence punishable by a
$2,000 fine and/or six-month imprisonment.  A judge can also impose a
two-year ban on ownership of animals.

One of the purposes of Bill C-15B is to increase the penalties relating to
cruelty to animals and to provide a broader range of criminal sanctions.
Under Bill C-15B, the maximum length of imprisonment increases to five years
and there is no set limit for fines for the more serious offences.

This bill will make changes we need to better protect animals and we need to
show support for the passage of these changes today!

Thank you for your attention.