Re: threshold subjects

At 10:08 AM 11/18/97 -0500, David Black wrote:
>> The more I look at real examples, the more valuable Tatu's threshold
subject
>> appears.  I know this was considered a complication of the current draft
and
>> therefore something to eliminate, but AFAIK, this is the cleanest (only?)
>> way to permit the on-line replacement of a root key which has been
>> compromised.
>
>The more general problem is that all keys have to be replaced eventually.
>Do threshold subjects provide a route for replacing *all* keys (one at a
>time is ok) -- i.e., replacing all n keys in a k-of-n subject?  The line
>of thinking that bothers me is that to do this, one eventually has to
>use some of the n keys to sign a certificate establishing a new key --
>on the assumption that all n of the keys eventually go stale, assume the
>adversary gets them and can then do his/her own key replacement.  This
>is a problem for a verifier that hasn't been paying close attention --
>it may accept the adversary's key replacement.

This depends, as Michael Richardson pointed out, on whether a signature by a
key remains valid after the key has been declared compromised (or otherwise
invalid).

What we're missing there is the notion of trusted time -- either global or
local.

Assume I start with 3 of 5 root keys for some authorization (have an ACL
entry with a 3 of 5 subject).  Then tomorrow I receive certificates
replacing 1 of the 5 keys.  In case (1) I then use that knowledge to make a
new ACL entry, still 3 of 5.  In case (2), I keep the new certificates in my
cache, recording when they arrived (by my clock).  In case (3), I keep the
new certificates in my cache, not recording when they arrived.

SO: ACL says: (subject (threshold 3 5 A B C D E)).
A gets replaced with F by 4 certs, each with
(subject (threshold 3 5 F B C D E))
each signed by one of the keys B, C, D, and E.

The fact that A had been stolen 3 weeks earlier makes no difference.  The
clock starts over on compromise of the new set of 5.  Eventually, through
this process, the original 5 keys can all have been replaced.

In cases (1) and (2), this gets expressed correctly.
In case (3), by throwing out time information, we can't evaluate this
correctly.

So, we need to keep time information.  One way is with a secure time stamp
service (although such a service might depend on public keys, unless it's a
hash-only service (with hash trees and daily hashes published in the
paper)).  Another is by keeping our own local time in trusted storage (as we
keep ACLs in trusted storage).

Of course, we don't know exactly when a key gets compromised.  Sometimes we
never know that a key was stolen.  So, instead we have to arrange to replace
keys periodically even with no evidence of compromise and rely on our guess
that the replacement rate exceeds the leakage rate.

 - Carl

|Carl M. Ellison  cme@cybercash.com   http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|CyberCash, Inc.                      http://www.cybercash.com/    |
|207 Grindall Street  PGP 08FF BA05 599B 49D2  23C6 6FFD 36BA D342 |
|Baltimore MD 21230-4103  T:(410) 727-4288  F:(410)727-4293        |