Re: time resolution (was Re: six-page binary format draft)

At 01:23 PM 11/24/97 -0800, you wrote:

> [...]

Fortunately, individuals in australia, america and austria are all in about
the same inertial frame.  So in a decade or two, synchronization to a few
millisecs may be routine.  But in 100 years, we may be attempting to conduct
oltp between earth, the moon, and a transport travelling at least a little
bit relativistically.  For the relying parties here, agreement on clock sync
cannot exist beyond certain precision.  A transaction that might take just
a few seconds may be forced to proceed in pieces separated by minutes or more
just so there can be no disagreement among parties as to the order in which
critical events took place.  (Ok, like i'm worried.)

___TONY___

Tony Bartoletti                                             LL
SPI Project Leader                                       LL LL
Computer Security Technology Center                   LL LL LL
Lawrence Livermore National Lab                       LL LL LL
PO Box 808, L - 303                                   LL LL LLLLLLLL
Livermore, CA 94551-9900                              LL LLLLLLLL
email: azb@llnl.gov   phone: 510-422-3881             LLLLLLLL