RE: test vectors for HMAC-SHA-1 - Test Data and Bad News -Reply

In thinking about this I believe the problem has crossed "endian" boundries
already so I don't think this is it.  I'm going to rerun the DH tests on a
non-intel box to see if that changes things.  I know the code Ed and I were
originally discussing was running on an Intel machine.  I don't know for
sure if the Cylink code was running on an Intel box.

At 03:22 PM 2/6/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Oh, I don't think we need to call out the cryptographic "Big Guns" yet.  I'm
>willing to bet the problem is with the output, transfer, and subsequent
>input at the receiving end of the public numbers.   I doubt it is a
>fundamental problem with the underlying big integer arithmetic libraries.
>More like one library interpreting the numbers LSByte first and the other
>one MSByte first.  If each library was not consistent in its interpretation
>of the data, the math wouldn't work for two implementations using the
>same library.
>
>-John Kennedy
> NOVELL, Inc.

>>In message <01BC1429.F844BBC0@localhost>, Edward Russell writes:
>>
>> <Reversed SHA Bytes discussion deleted...>
>>
>>We'll try to establish if the same is true at the end of a Diffie Hellman
>exchange,
>>but that will be a little trickier.
>>

>It would appear the Diffie Hellman discrepancy between Cylink and
>Bsafe is
>not just a simple reversal.  The cryptographers will have to tackle that
>one.

>Sender: owner-ipsec@ex.tis.com
>Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 13:44:02 -0700
>From: Edward Russell  <erussell@ftp.com>
>To: ipsec@tis.com
>Subject: RE: test vectors for HMAC-SHA-1 - Test Data and Bad News
>
>>In message <01BC1429.F844BBC0@localhost>, Edward Russell writes:
>>
>> <Reversed SHA Bytes discussion deleted...>
>>
>>We'll try to establish if the same is true at the end of a Diffie Hellman
exchange,
>>but that will be a little trickier.
>>

>It would appear the Diffie Hellman discrepancy between Cylink and Bsafe is
>not just a simple reversal.  The cryptographers will have to tackle that one.

--------
Rodney Thayer <rodney@sabletech.com>
PGP Fingerprint: BB1B6428 409129AC  076B9DE1 4C250DD8