Re: TO COMPRESS OR NOT TO CMPRS (please reply)

>I support the use of compression but not in IPsec. It should be done up
>higher, perhaps the transport level. It's better to compress the stream
>of data before it's divided into packets than to wait and compress each
>packet. I'd rather see 50 packets then 100 smaller ones.

I feel exactly the same way. I've seen nothing that can beat the
performance of gzip-style compress up above TCP, e.g., in SSH with the
-C option.  The fact that gzip is widely distributed GNUware, free of
patent concerns, is just icing on the cake.

Phil

Follow-Ups: References: