Cookie exchange

There's something in the ISAKMP draft version 8, that puzzles me:
Section 4.3:
"Additionally, none of the examples include an initial exchange of ISAKMP Headers (con-
taining initiator and responder cookies) which would provide protection
against clogging (see section 2.5.3)."

How do I interpret this?  Does it meant that before doing, say, an Id protect exchange, cookies could be exchanged as described in the Oakley draft?  So, the first message in an Id protect exchange could contain both the intiator and responder cookies?  Are there implementations out there that actually work this way?

Thanks,

Sumit A. Vakil
3Com, Corporation