Re: Generic CBC-MAC specification

Daniel Harkins writes:
>   The I-O resolution draft currently references Applied Cryptography
> for CBC-MACs. That was said to be inadequate and I'm merely trying
> to address the criticism. If most people feel that Applied Cryptography
> is enough then I'll just leave it as it is. And I guess the burden is
> on those who think it isn't enough since this involves a change.
>
>   Speak up now.

I was the one to convince Dan that Applied Cryptography was not
sufficient for RFC purposes.  (I was bothered because it was not free,
and no one could point me to a free specification.)  The biggest point,
however, is that AC does not make any mention of a standard method for
padding short input frames, which I made certain to do in my draft.
Moreover, there is not an adequate discussion of the security
implications of using CBC-MAC as a MAC (which I hope I've addressed
sufficiently in the discussion section of that draft).

Does anyone disagree with my rationale for another draft?

ben

Follow-Ups: References: