Re: >IPSEC Charter - New Dra

% >put more emphasis upon it.  I really think that because so many protocols
% >(e.g. IP, Mobile IP, IPng, OSPF, BGP, etc) need a standard key mgmt
% protocol
%
% Humm ... why do these protocols need their own key management?  They
% would all be protected by IPSP.

It isn't clear to me that they do need their own key management protocol
and that is one reason why I'd like to have the key mgmt protocol done first.

There are a number of good reasons why I might want to have authentication
(etc) built into those protocols.  Mobile IP in particular appears to need
to have authentication built into the Mobile IP protocol because IPSP could
not provide the right trust properties.  I believe these others (IPng,
OSPF, BGP) could also benefit from having authentication built into the
protocols.  There are groups/people already working on adding the hooks
for such authentication (as well as some protocols which have the hooks
but need a key mgmt protocol to transform those hooks into easily deployable
authenticated protocols).

Ran